At its very core, Nuance is about enabling technology to understand the human voice. It’s a simple idea made possible through sophisticated technology – and its impact has proven to be utterly profound.
Nuance’s technology has made information accessible to countless disabled individuals who might otherwise be without the basic conveniences we’ve all come to know as part of modern-day life. One need only read a few of the countless stories submitted through our “I Speak Dragon” contest to truly understand how Nuance solutions are changing lives.
Nuance is also on the forefront relative to the prevention of “distracted driving,” an increasingly dangerous phenomenon resulting from the always-on nature of mobile communications and specifically, texting. At Nuance, we aspire to make the roads safer for all by making voice-enabled phone interactions the norm. The future is now; there’s no need to wait.
The world we live in is a diverse one, made of a patchwork of people, cultures and languages.
At Nuance, we have operations in 16 countries and a sales presence in more than 70, with employees in remote corners of the globe. As such, we understand the dynamics and cultural sensitivities of local markets and communities and bring a true global perspective to our solutions. There’s no excuse for putting cutting-edge technology only into the hands of English speakers to the detriment of the rest of the world. Nuance provides technology that levels the playing field for a broad range of communities.
In the communities where Nuance offices reside, we continually participate in efforts to better the world around us. Whether it’s volunteering at a local youth camp or organizing clothing drives to benefit those in need, Nuance supports our local communities in myriad ways.
Corporate Responsibility - Social and Environmental Statement for conserving natural resources and protecting the health of our planet.
As a service provider, Nuance strives to maintain a low impact on the environment. We are sensitive to the environment and try to minimize or mitigate any harmful effects from our activities while protecting the health and safety of our staff.
Our environmental initiatives focus on three areas:
- Energy use
- Waste management
- Business travel
To minimize or mitigate any harmful effects from our activities we strive to:
- Adhere to local and international environmental regulations
- Increase employee awareness and encourage participation
- Adopt and continually refine best practices
- Monitor and measure usage
We currently have had no environmental fines or penalties of a material nature and manage our activities to maintain our clean regulatory record.
Energy use is an important aspect of our business from both environmental and cost perspectives, and we strive to consume less and reduce our environmental impact by:
- Monitoring power consumption with the goal of reducing power consumption by at least 1% each year over the prior year
- Leveraging Advanced energy-saving systems such as automatic light and occupancy sensors, variable speed drives, and energy-saving computer monitors
- Using materials from renewable resources that are non-toxic and recyclable
Waste management is a focus as our operations generate paper, plastic and metal waste, which we strive to consume less and recycle more to reduce our environmental impact by:
- Reducing consumption of paper, plastic and metal by 1% each year over the prior year
- Encouraging individual responsibility for recycling initiatives and providing recycling facilities for paper, printer toners, plastics, metal, etc.
- Monitoring the purchase of cut sheet paper and defaulting printers/copiers to double-sided printing and photocopying
- Using proper disposal for recycling of IT and electronic equipment in accordance with local legislation
- Using appropriately licensed organizations to remove special waste (such as defective monitors or electronics)
- Donating IT assets to those who would not otherwise have access
- Reducing greenhouse gas emissions by at least 1% each year over the prior year, achievable since our power consumption goals and GHG goal are related and directly linked together
Business Travel is required to successfully operate our global business and we constantly promote and implement measures to reduce our travel-related environmental impacts by:
- Promoting teleconferencing and other collaborative working tools to limit the number of individual business trips
- Enabling remote and virtual working for employees to reduce space requirements and commuting
- Encouraging the use of public transportation, car pools, and other trip mitigation measures
Click here to review Nuance Social and Environmental Policy Statement
Ask any Nuance employee what is the best part of the job, and more often than not, you’ll hear “the people.” Our people are the foundation for our cutting-edge technology, our industry-leading market position, our respect among customers. It’s only right that we compensate them not just through competitive salaries and benefits, but also by providing the support needed to live a well-rounded life.
Nuance is proud to support remote working arrangements and flexible schedules wherever possible. In a recent employee survey, this flexibility was one of the most frequently cited responses to the question “What is your favorite thing about working at Nuance?”
Additionally, Nuance is pleased to provide the following for our employees:
- Easy access to wellness courses such as Managing Stress, Smoking Cessation and Weight Control
- Onsite fitness facilities in some locations
- Employee Discount program
But the intangible benefits that our employees enjoy at Nuance have perhaps an even greater impact on people’s lives: the chance to work on products and solutions that touch and improve human lives; the opportunity to work with some of the brightest minds in the industry; and the never-ending set of challenges and opportunities just waiting to be addressed.