Nuance Recognizes Healthcare Leaders at Conversations Healthcare 2010 User Conference
Healthcare Provider Organizations Achieve Outstanding Business Performance Based on Innovation, Productivity and Cost Savings through Use of Nuance Healthcare Solutions
Burlington, Mass., November 15, 2010 —Nuance Communications, Inc. (NASDAQ: NUAN) is today announcing its recognition of 31 healthcare organizations last week at its annual user conference, Conversations Healthcare 2010, for achievements made through exemplary use of Nuance healthcare solutions. This year, 25 healthcare organizations were recognized for saving one million dollars or more on medical transcription costs as a result of implementing Nuance’s eScription platform. In addition to cost savings, eight organizations were honored for achieving significant medical transcriptionist (MT) productivity gains.
“With continued pressure on the healthcare industry to bend the cost and quality curve, healthcare IT is increasingly relied upon to drive efficiencies, lower costs and improve patient care. Never before have I seen such tremendous achievements driven in the healthcare IT space than I’ve seen across Nuance’s healthcare customer base,” said Janet Dillione, executive vice president and general manager, Nuance Healthcare. “Nuance is pleased to recognize the vast success of our healthcare customers. Their strategic use of our healthcare solutions is exciting, motivating and is key to Nuance’s continued leadership.”
Million Dollar Awards
To date, 39 healthcare organizations have been recognized as members of the eScription Million Dollar Club, started in 2005, for saving $1 million or more on medical transcription costs. Cumulatively, these customers have reported savings of more than $140 million as a result of implementing Nuance’s background speech recognition solution. The following organizations were recognized at this year’s conference for saving $1 million or reaching a new level of million dollar savings:
- Eastern Connecticut Health Network (Manchester, CT), Hattiesburg Clinic (Hattiesburg, MS), HCA North Texas (Dallas, TX), Orlando Health (Orlando, FL), and University of Wisconsin Medical Foundation (Madison, WI) for $1 million saved;
- Memorial Hermann (Houston, TX), Tufts Medical Center (Boston, MA), University Health Associates (Morgantown, WV) and Washington County Health System (Hagerstown, MD) for $2 million saved;
- Aurora Health Care South and Kettle Moraine Region (Burlington, WI), Health First (Melbourne, FL), Poudre Valley Health System (Fort Collins, CO) and Tampa General Hospital (Tampa, FL) for $3 million saved;
- Atrius Health (Newton, MA) for $4 million saved;
- Carle (Urbana, IL), Intermountain Healthcare (Salt Lake City, UT) and Maine Medical Center (Portland, ME) for $5 million saved;
- UNC Health Care (Chapel Hill, NC) for $6 million saved;
- Gwinnett Medical Center (Lawrenceville, GA), UC Health (Cincinnati, OH) and UMass Memorial Health Care (Worcester, MA) for $7 million saved;
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (Boston, MA) and Mount Carmel Health System (Columbus, OH) for $10 million saved;
- Brigham and Women’s Hospital (Boston, MA) for $13 million saved;
- Aurora Health Care Metro and South (Milwaukee and Hartford, WI) saved over $14 million.
“Aurora Health Care uses eScription and PowerScribe across its multiple sites to help drive an efficient, high-quality clinical documentation workflow,” said Cindy Janick-Pederson, CMT, AHDI-F, Medical Transcription Manager, Aurora Health Care – Corporate “While cost savings has been a tremendous benefit and we’re honored to be recognized for our $14 million in savings, the customer service and speech recognition capabilities of Nuance’s solutions have also been incredible. We’ve found that their team works with us to come up with ideas to drive better processes and helps us implement them.”
Nuance also honored the following eight healthcare organizations for their outstanding MT productivity gains achieved through the use of Dictaphone Enterprise Speech System and eScription. In many cases MT productivity increased by well over 100 percent when compared with traditional transcription.
- Ripon Medical Center (Ripon, WI), Carolinas Medical Center – Northeast (Concord, NC) and ThedaCare (Appleton, WI) (Dictaphone Enterprise Speech System)
- Health First (Melbourne, FL), Carle (Urbana, IL), Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital (Whittier, CA), Ascension Health (St. Louis, MO) and New England Baptist Hospital (Boston, MA) (eScription)
“Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital is very honored to have received the MT productivity award using the eScription application. We have been able to achieve high productivity gains because of the enhanced features that continue to improve this product, driven by user input. The strong alliance with our Nuance account manager and support staff also contributes to this successful product,” said Linda Ragazzo, medical transcription manager, Presbyterian Intercommunity Hospital.
Conversations Healthcare is a comprehensive educational and networking event that gives Nuance Healthcare customers a unique opportunity to learn how to get the most out of their Nuance solutions, network with other healthcare professionals, meet with Nuance representatives, and contribute ideas for future product development. This year’s annual user conference hosted over 300 customers of Nuance’s, Dictaphone Enterprise Speech System, Dragon Medical, eScription, PowerScribe, RadWhere and Veriphy. The event took place in Boston, Massachusetts with Blackford Middleton, Corporate Director of Clinical Informatics Research and Development at Partners Healthcare System as keynote speaker. To learn more about Nuance’s Conversations Healthcare event visit: http://www.nuance.com/conversations2010/.
Nuance’s Healthcare Business
Nuance’s healthcare portfolio of proven, speech-enabled clinical documentation and communication solutions enable healthcare provider organizations to improve financial performance, enhance patient care, and increase patient safety. With more than 10,000 healthcare provider organization customers and 450,000 clinician customers worldwide, Nuance has the experience and solutions that meet the individual needs of any size healthcare provider organization.
Nuance Communications, Inc.
Nuance is a leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for businesses and consumers around the world. Its technologies, applications and services make the user experience more compelling by transforming the way people interact with information and how they create, share and use documents. Every day, millions of users and thousands of businesses experience Nuance’s proven applications and professional services. For more information, please visit www.nuance.com.
Nuance, eScription and the Nuance logo are trademarks or registered trademarks of Nuance Communications, Inc. or its affiliates in the United States and/or other countries. All other company names or product names may be the trademarks of their respective owners.