What's New in v12
There are over 100 new features, improvements and enhancements in Dragon NaturallySpeaking 12 Professional.
- Administrators can obtain a recognition log file for each end-user, to easily and quickly gather rich, objective usage information which can be used to give users targeted advice and measure return on investment.
- Dragon’s Auto-Transcribe Folder Agent (ATFA) manages the flow of transcribed text and synchronized audio of digital voice recordings to streamline third-party review and correction. In version 12, Dragon’s ATFA:
- Supports .DOC and .RTF as output formats, in addition to .TXT
- Can run a script (such as an email notification) when a transcription is complete *
- Note: The “Roaming” configuration allows dictation and third-party correction from different network locations and computing devices while ensuring centralized management of master user profiles.
Export Custom Words:
- You can choose to export word properties in XML format when you export custom word lists for reuse in other user profiles.
Remote Desktop Connection:
- Use Dragon Without Installing It Locally. Dragon now supports remote use on a computer running Windows Server 2008 R2 or Windows 7 Ultimate. With Microsoft’s free Remote Desktop Connection software (formerly called Terminal Services Client), you can use Dragon from a local Windows computer on which Dragon itself is not installed. While Dragon is running on the server, multiple Windows clients can use it simultaneously.
Even More Accurate
- Improved Accuracy: Dragon 12 delivers up to a 20% improvement in out-of-box accuracy compared to Dragon 11. This means that Dragon gets you, and you get things done, faster than ever. And when you do need to make a correction, Dragon learns, making it more accurate the more that you use it.
Faster Than Ever
- Faster Processors Yield Faster Performance: If you use Dragon on a computer with multi-core processors and more than 4 GB of RAM, Dragon 12 automatically selects the BestMatch V speech model for you when you create your user profile in order to deliver faster performance.
- Better performance: Dragon 12 boosts performance by delivering easier correction and editing options, and giving you more control over your command preferences, letting you get things done faster than ever before.
Enhanced Web Mail
- Enhanced Experience with Gmail and Hotmail/Outlook.com: Dragon 12 enhances the experience of using your voice with the most popular web-based email applications — Gmail and Hotmail/Outlook.com — offering Full Text Control and commands for the most frequent actions in Internet Explorer (32-bit, versions 9 and 10), Firefox and Chrome (for an up-to-date list of supported browsers, please visit our KnowledgeBase.
Keeping up with New Releases
- Dragon 12 includes support for some of the latest and greatest recent releases, including Windows 8, Office 2013, and Internet Explorer 10.
- Interactive Tutorial: Proposed at the end of profile creation and available any time from the Help menu, the Interactive Tutorial in Dragon 12 offers short progressive simulations to help you practice good dictation, correction and editing habits so that you can create text efficiently within just a few minutes. Even experienced Dragon users can benefit from the Interactive Tutorial.
Wideband Bluetooth Support
- Enhanced Bluetooth Support: Dragon 12 adds support for wideband Bluetooth wireless headset microphones, and you can get up and running quickly. When it detects that the USB dongle of a certified microphone is plugged into the PC, Dragon 12 offers “Enhanced Bluetooth” as an audio source type and does not require a script reading to get started. (Available in Premium Edition and above).
Option to Automate the Dictation Box
- Dragon can automatically display this resizable intermediary box when you dictate into a text field for which it does not have Full Text Control; that way, you can enjoy Dragon capabilities such as Direct Editing commands and capitalization of the first word. (You can disable or enable this on the Miscellaneous tab of the Options dialog.)
Smart Format Rules
- Smart Format Rules: Dragon now reaches out to you to adapt upon detecting your format corrections – abbreviations, numbers, and more — so your dictated text looks the way you want it to every time.
More Natural Text-to-Speech
- More Natural Text-to-Speech Voice: Dragon 12’s natural-sounding Text-To-Speech reads editable text—with fast-forward, rewind and speed and volume control—for easy proofing and multi-tasking. (Available in Home Edition and Above).
- Correction: When it comes to correcting a word or phrase, Dragon now includes more choices to make it quicker and easier to make a change.
Dragon Remote Mic – Now for Android
- Dragon Remote Microphone App for iOS and now Android: Dragon 12 lets you go wireless with an iOS or Android device and the free Dragon Remote Microphone App. Turn your compatible iPhone, iPod touch (4th gen), iPad or Android device into a wireless microphone for use with Dragon over a WiFi network. And it’s easier than ever to get started – simply use the camera on your device to scan the barcode that Dragon 12 provides on-screen. (Available in Home Edition and above).
IGNITE PRODUCTIVITY WITH FAST, ACCURATE DICTATION
- Dictate naturally to create documents, spreadsheets, presentations, email and more — three times faster than typing — with up to 99% recognition accuracy.
- Import and share custom word lists with unique names, acronyms and terminology tailored to your business or industry. Intelligent reminders prompt you to initiate analysis of documents and emails so Dragon adapts to the words and phrases you are likely to use.
- Correcting or revising dictated text is fast and simple, too. Natural-sounding Text-to-Speech reads editable text—with fast-forward, rewind and speed and volume control—for easy proofing and multi-tasking. Dragon can even adapt its format rules by detecting your format corrections – abbreviations, numbers, and more — so your dictated text looks the way you want it to every time.
- Plus, the software automatically updates your voice profile based on your dictation sessions and corrections to deliver continuous accuracy improvements. The more you use Dragon 12, the better it transcribes your speech.
- Dragon even takes advantage of the latest PC multi-core processors to further boost speech recognition performance.
IGNITE PROFICIENCY AND EASE OF USE
- The interactive tutorial in Dragon 12 Professional presents simulations to help users learn and practice good dictation, correction and editing habits so that you can create text efficiently within just a few minutes.
- The Dragon Help system contains a Tip of the Day window and other easy ways for you to quickly learn more.
- The Dragon Sidebar puts important voice commands and tips in one convenient desktop location.
- And on-screen help means information is always available when you need it.
IGNITE CONVENIENCE BY USING BUSINESS-CRITICAL APPLICATIONS
- You can use Dragon 12 Professional with many of the Windows applications you use every day.
- Dictate, edit and format text in Microsoft® Word, OpenOffice™ Writer, or Corel® WordPerfect®, work with spreadsheets in Microsoft Excel®, create presentations in Microsoft PowerPoint®, create email, tasks and meetings in Microsoft Outlook®, search the Web using Internet Explorer® or Mozilla® Firefox® or Google Chrome™, post to Facebook or Twitter, and more — all by voice.
- Dragon 12 even enhances the experience of using your voice withthe most popular web-based email applications — Gmail and Hotmail/Outlook.com — offering Full Text Control and commands for the most frequent actions in Internet Explorer (32-bit, versions 9 and 10), Firefox and Chrome (for an up-to-date list of supported browsers, please visit our KnowledgeBase.
- Dragon 12 also works with industry-specific programs like case management, incident reporting, and claims management systems.
IGNITE CONTROL WITH VOICE SHORTCUTS AND CUSTOM COMMANDS
- Use simple voice commands to create files, send email, schedule tasks and meetings, open and close applications, save and convert documents, and search the Web or your computer with remarkable speed and ease.
- Dragon Voice Shortcuts™ let you obtain the equivalent of multiple keystrokes and mouse clicks with a single voice command that can be spoken at any time—no matter what is active on your screen. For example, say: “Send email to John Smith and Raphael Sanchez” or “Search maps for financial advisors in Boston, Massachusetts” and Dragon makes it happen. You can also say “open top site for Nuance Communications” and Dragon automatically opens the top-ranked page for these keywords.
- In addition, you can easily create or import custom voice commands that let you fill out forms, insert frequently used text and graphics, control application elements like menus and toolbars, or automate business processes.
IGNITE MOBILITY AND FLEXIBILITY
- For advanced recording functionality, dictate into a Nuance-approved digital voice recorder, from anywhere, at any time, and Dragon will automatically transcribe the text.
- Or use the free Dragon Recorder app to record high-quality audio files using your existing Apple® iPhone®, iPod® touch, iPad® (4th gen).
- Use a wireless headset for superior comfort and mobility; wideband Bluetooth support delivers optimal recognition performance.
- You can even use a the free Dragon Remote App and use your compatible iOS or Android device as a wireless microphone to provide ultimate convenience.
IGNITE BETTER BUSINESS WITH AN ENTERPRISE-READY SOLUTION
- Dragon 12 Professional provides security features, configuration options and administrative tools that make it easy to manage voice profiles, custom vocabularies and commands, feature access, and multiple installations over a network.
- Dragon 12 Professional can even let administrators obtain a recognition log file for each end-user, to easily and quickly gather rich, objective usage information which can be used to give users targeted advice and measure return on investment.
IGNITE ACCESSIBILITY FOR ALL EMPLOYEES
- Dragon 12 Professional is Section 508 certified, enabling you to meet government-mandated accessibility requirements for workers with disabilities. It also helps prevent fatigue and repetitive stress injuries and keeps more employees on the job by offering a comfortable, ergonomic option to the keyboard and mouse.
The install process checks that your system meets the minimum requirements; if they are not met, Dragon NaturallySpeaking will not be installed.
- Closing all programs before installing is recommended. In addition, consider shutting down and restarting your computer before an installation
- Dragon 12.5 supports Microsoft Office 2013. For details on support for specific application version numbers, see the edition feature matrix and Technical Support’s KnowledgeBase
- Non-medical editions of Dragon do not support dictation directly into Electronic Medical Record (EMR) systems – for EMR support, please use Dragon Medical Edition
- RAM: We recommend 2 GB for 32-bit Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows Server 2008, 4 GB for 64-bit Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012. (Minimum: 1 GB for Windows XP and Windows Vista, 2 GB for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008, and Windows Server 2012)
- CPU: We recommend 2.2 GHz Intel® dual core or equivalent AMD processor. (Minimum: 1 GHz Intel Pentium® or equivalent AMD processor or 1.66 GHz Intel Atom® processor). Faster processors yield faster performance. IMPORTANT: SSE2 instruction set is required
- Processor Cache: We recommend 2 MB L2 cache. (Minimum: 512 KB)
- Free hard disk space:
If installing from a disk: 3.2 GB (4 GB for localized non-English versions)
If installing from a download: three times as much space is initially needed (after the download is unpacked and installation completes, temporary files can be removed from the system)
- Supported Operating Systems:
Windows 8, 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows 7 SP1, 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows Vista SP2, 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows XP SP3, 32-bit only
Windows Server 2008 SP2, 32-bit and 64-bit
Windows Server 2008 R2 SP2, 64-bit
Windows Server 2012 Standard Edition, 64-bit
- Internet Explorer 7 or higher to view the software’s Online Help (free download at http://www.microsoft.com)
- The plugin that provides enhanced capabilities for Gmail and Hotmail/Outlook.com (the “Rich Internet Applications” extension) requires Internet Explorer 9 or 10, or the currently supported version of Firefox or Chrome—see support.nuance.com for details
- A sound card supporting 16-bit recording
- A DVD-ROM drive for installation from disk
- If you use a company-owned PC, make sure you have the privileges needed to install on it Microsoft's .NET Framework 4 (a Windows component)
- A Nuance-approved noise-canceling microphone. See listings and details at support.nuance.com (includes USB adapters and digital voice recorders)
- An Internet connection for automatic product activation (a quick anonymous process)
What are customers saying about Dragon?
“Overall, Dragon 11.5 is the best version of Dragon that Nuance has released – and I’ve been using it since version 9. Performance is outstanding and recognition speed is virtually instantaneous. In my experience, the recognition accuracy in Dragon 11.5 is so improved that I only need look at my dictation when I mispronounce a word. Adding words to the vocabulary is easier now – a great feature since I use a large number of acronyms.” Steve Smith, an Information Technology Consultant
“I work for an international technology analyst firm. I’m on the road approximately 4 days a week to different locations worldwide. Unfortunately with so much travel it becomes very difficult to capture my thoughts and publish them in a way that can provide value to all of our 40,000 plus customers. I’ve been using Dragon Professional for the last year to help me capture all of my thoughts in a way that allows me to free flow and later go back and edit. Dragon is a part of my window, it comes with me on the road, it’s here in my home office and I’ve recommended it to my colleagues. It helps me do what I do.” Frank Kenney, research director, Gartner, Inc.
“As Director of Contracts at a software company, I create, review and revise legal documents all day. I have tendonitis from repetitive motion (too much typing) so I use Dragon to dictate memos, emails, letters, notices, etc. and this saves me from the pain and strain typing puts on my hands. Not only that, Dragon is a great relief from eye strain as I can have my text dictated back to me after it is composed. Our entire company uses instant messaging as its preferred means of communicating with coworkers in other offices, departments and in a dozen other countries around the world. I use Dragon to dictate my messages and don't even have to hit the enter key to send them. A simple "click Send" command is all it takes. The more my hands are off the keyboard, the less pain I have, both literally and figuratively." Jaclyn R.
“Dragon NaturallySpeaking should be a mandatory purchase for everyone that wants to increase their productivity. Responding to e-mails, writing documents, developing Excel spreadsheets … things that took hours before, now take minutes.” Robert D
Read more customer reviews.