Data governance program
As a global leader in conversational AI, clients trust Nuance to deliver solutions that handle patient data responsibly. We remain firmly committed to helping our clients comply with their data protection requirements. In recognition of the reality that a sound data governance program is at the heart of data protection, the Nuance Data Governance Program manages the production, reliability, traceability, quality, integrity, disclosure, protection, and usage of data across the organization.
Our program includes:
- Data ownership and accountability: The Data Owner is responsible for defining who can access a relevant system or corpus of data and is the accountable party for security requirements, quality standards, and data definitions such as classification. The Data Owner is responsible for maintaining a data map or data inventory that documents the categories of Nuance data processed by the relevant system and the relevant data flows.
- Standardized policies and procedures: Policies and procedures are reviewed by subject matter experts and aligned to support the various aspects of a holistic data governance program.
- Consistent data quality management: Maintaining the integrity and quality of Nuance data is critical to our clients’ expectations as well as meeting legal and regulatory requirements.
- Change management: Nuance conducts privacy impact assessments on new or materially changed collection, disclosure, or use of Personal Information to ensure the collection and processing of Personal Information meets the requirements of our clients, policy and legal guidelines, and regulatory rules.
- Data assessment and monitoring: Nuance assesses our process, procedures, and systems on a routine and regular basis to ensure that updates and improvements are implemented to maintain our standards.
- Training and communications: Nuance conducts training on at least an annual basis, and more frequently as needed, to ensure workforce members are aware of their roles and responsibilities related to data governance.
For any cloud-based and on-premise solution, responsibility with respect to data privacy—including access and controls—is shared. Our clients are responsible for configuring Nuance solutions to support good data governance efforts and for enforcing applicable policies in their organizations in accordance with applicable requirements.